Across Milwaukee, students participated in a National Bike to School day on Wednesday May 10.
Press release from Wisconsin Bike Fed via Urban Milwaukee explains more
Thousands of Milwaukee public school students and students across the country will be tying up their laces and pumping up their bike tires for National Bike to School Day on Wednesday, May 10th. “Walking and biking to school is an easy way to be healthy, reduce pollution, and helps kids arrive ready to learn. Getting that morning exercise has proven to increase school performance.” says Jake Newborn, Youth Education Manager for the Wisconsin Bike Fed. In addition to walking school buses, safety classes, and treats for walkers and bikers, this year’s Bike to School Day participation also enters schools into a raffle to win prizes like bike racks, safety materials, a BMX team demo and more! Local elected officials have been invited to walk or bike to show their support as well.
Local Bike to School Day Locations:
- Fernwood Montessori: parade to school from Walgreens on KK and Oklahoma leaves at
7:15 a.m. 3239 S. Pennsylvania Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53207.
- Fairview Charter & Honey Creek : 6901 W. Oklahoma Ave. Skate, Scoot, Bike to school from
parking lot between both schools. Both school arrive at school site at 7:30 a.m.
- Cooper Elementary : 5143 S. 21st St. Experience Fitness will lead activities on playground
at 7:15 a.m. and a Used Bike Drive will be going on with donation going to the Wisconsin Bike Fed
“Safe Routes to School” Program
- Humboldt Park School : 3230 S. Adams Ave. Milwaukee, WI 53207
- Howard Ave Montessori 357 E. Howard Ave. 8:30 a.m. arrival at school (late start site)
- Maryland Ave Montessori : 2418 N. Maryland Ave. 7:20 a.m. arrivals.